Located In Alton, IL
New Piasa Chautauqua has been a functioning private summer resort community since 1885. Its mission included an emphasis on religion, education, and wholesome family life and recreation. When the original venture failed for financial reasons in 1908, it was reorganized as New Piasa Chautauqua in 1909.
New Piasa Chautauqua was placed on The National Register of Historic Districts in 1982. There are over two hundred cottages and substantial homes at Chautauqua. Many are occupied by the descendants of earlier owners.